Here is the Scripture that will serve as the sermon text for this coming Confirmation Sunday: “So then, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed, not only when I was with you, but also now much more in my absence, continue to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. In fact, it is God who is working in you, both to will and to work, for the sake of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12,13 EHV)
All five students passed the final exam that I give to students every year. Some time ago (April 1, 2020) I shared some of the questions from that test on this blog. Below are questions NOT found on that test nor on any entrance exam into heaven. (Answers/suggestions follow)
- How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
- When he was a child, did Jesus ever cause his friends to levitate…just for fun?
- You and a friend are out in the desert and it’s likely you won’t make it out alive. Your friend asked to be baptized, but there is no water. Can you slice open a cactus and use cactus juice? (asked by my first confirmation students thirty years ago, while I lived in Spooner, WI)
- To properly live out man/woman roles…if a single man living in an apartment complex asks the single woman down the hall to get him a newspaper, does she have to do it?
- All of them
- Who knows? Who cares? Unlikely, in my opinion
- No. Simply share the Gospel; the Holy Spirit will use your witness. Faith saves
“If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31b,32)
One last question for you: What was your Confirmation verse? Don’t remember? Look it up. Then think about how that passage has been an encouragement for you. You may be amazed…
God’s grace is amazing!
Pastor Stephen Luchterhand